Saturday, April 24, 2010

Over-The-Hill and Pregnant!


"Over-the-hill and Pregnant" that is what I read in an email I received from the manager of the restaurant where I cater special event cakes for parties and dinner guests.
I read it again...the husband of the birthday girl is throwing her a Birthday dinner and the theme is over-the-hill since she is turning 40..(even though that is technically not over the hill). The husband said he'd like to also incorporate the fact that she is pregnant into the birthday cake...i just thought...gee, i really hope his wife knows the theme is over the hill cuz if I was pregnant and emotional and hormonal and my husband told me I was over the hill I would probably kill him...hopefully she is nicer than i am!

So I started brainstorming and sketched a drawing, I wanted to sculpt the mom-to-be out of sugar...and so I did...
I also made baby bottles and then I thought...



...hmmmm a stork holding a sack would be a nice topper for this cake!! and so I sculpted this out of sugar also..I really thought this came out cute!



I really love the little details on cakes, it is my favorite part of it all! I love to sit there and sculpt.
Well the cake came out exactly as expected and underneath the home-made marshmallow fondant was a giant mountain of cake, not just a hill. Three combined "tiers" The bottom is chocolate fudge cake with peanutbutter buttercream. The Middle was Vanilla Cake with Fresh Strwaberry Buttercream and the Top is devils food cake with vanilla buttercream. It looked so pretty frosted like this...YUM!
I loaded it in a giant box (You can never see just how big these cakes are..this was pretty large!!!) and put it in a nice, pre-chilled car and sent it off with Andrew to be delivered...I also told him to drive safe and not to ruin my hard work!!!
Success, the cake was delivered safe and sound, everyone loved it and the party gushed over it...Job well done!
Here is a picture sent to me of the cake all set up at the restaurant!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping this is 40th birthday not 40th child? :) I really like your work. I am trying to come up with a bowling ball theme for my daughters birthday. too bad you are in NV not CT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping this is 40th birthday not 40th child? :) I really like your work. I am trying to come up with a bowling ball theme for my daughters birthday. too bad you are in NV not CT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ia am hoping this is 40th birthday not 40th child? :) I really like your work. I am trying to come up with a bowling ball theme for my daughters birthday. too bad you are in NV not CT.

    ReplyDelete